Warning: Attackers behind the recently revealed Facebook mega-breach may still be able to access victims' accounts at some third-party web services and mobile apps, and Facebook has offered no timeline for when a full lockdown might occur - although there are no signs of third-party account takeovers.
Step away from the social media single sign-on services, cybersecurity experts say, citing numerous privacy and security risks. Instead, they recommend that everyone use password managers to create unique and complex passwords for every site, service or app they use.
While Facebook has invalidated 90 million users' single sign-on access tokens following a mega-breach, researchers warn that most access token hijacking victims still lack any reliable "single sign-off" capabilities that will revoke attackers' access to hyper-connected web services and mobile apps.
To comply with GDPR, Facebook has notified Ireland's data privacy watchdog about the massive breach it has suffered, resulting in 50 million accounts being exposed. But Irish authorities have signaled that Facebook has failed to share all of the information they would have expected to see.
As attackers become more adept at evading "reactive" security controls and alert mechanisms, proactively analyzing the behaviors of people and systems is critical to detecting malicious activity, says Gartner's Kelly Kavanagh.
Facebook says that whoever hacked 50 million user accounts, putting the privacy of those users' personal data at risk, did so by abusing its "View As" privacy feature. Facebook says the attack successfully targeted three separate bugs in its video-uploading functionality.
Facebook revealed Friday that it had discovered a breach that affected almost 50 million user accounts. Attackers exploited a vulnerability that enabled them to steal "access tokens," digital keys that keep users logged in so they don't need to re-enter their password.
Several days after the Port of San Diego was hit by a crypto-locking ransomware attack, incident response efforts remain underway and many port systems remain offline. Port officials say the attacker has demanded a ransom, payable in bitcoin, for the promise of a decryption key.
In harmony with a wave of global privacy and security legislation, Canada has its own new breach notification requirements going into effect on Nov. 1. Attorney Ruth Promislow says these standards will force organizations to shift from a reactive to a proactive approach to incident response.
Ryan Duquette, an independent forensics examiner who formerly was a criminal investigator in law enforcement, offers insights on public/private partnerships and how investigators can work better with enterprises in the event of a breach.
A national cybersecurity strategy document released by the White House last week - along with comments from a top Trump administration official that the U.S. would step up its offensive cyber measures - are getting mixed reviews from cybersecurity experts.
In Australia, it can take as few as 15 minutes to steal someone's phone number, a type of attack known as SIM hijacking. Such attacks are rising, but mobile operators have no plans to change the authentication required around number porting, which can be set in motion online with minimal personal information.
Kenrick Bagnall, a former IT executive who is now a detective constable with the Toronto Police, offers unique insights on public/private partnerships and how enterprises can work better with investigators in the event of a breach.